As someone who went through a dry spell of being able to find work a few
years back, I have to wonder if it's not for some of the same reasons you
can't find any 'decent' applicants: maybe what you're looking for in
'decent' is just a touch too stringent. There is the possibility that
someone out there can do the job, and do it as well or better than just
about anyone, but they miss your qualification screening somehow. Or maybe
the job listing is putting applicans off somehow--I know I almost didn't
apply for my current position (in fact, the first time through, I skipped
it; 2 weeks later it was still there, so I gave it a shot. 2 years later,
I'm still kicking in high gear).