> Bruce wrote:
> Damn. Now I have to vote for him. I mean, ring tones? What better
>  qualification than that to be president. And to think I was going to be
>  silly enough to vote for someone with experience.

There is no "experience" that can prepare you for the job.

There are Presidents that should've been great like Nixon who sucked,
and Presidents that should've sucked like LBJ who didn't.  (and
Presidents who should've sucked and did like W).

Doris Kearns Goodwin, famous Presidential historian, has made this
partial list of qualities that are necessary for success:

* "a quiet self-confidence"

* an "extraordinary empathy" with people and understanding of human nature

* an "ability to share credit for his successes, willingness to accept
blame for the failures of subordinates, ability to concede error on
his own part, and capacity to recognize his own weaknesses and to
compensate for them."

For what it's worth I think all of the candidates have the possibility
of success.  However my call on character is my estimation of what
happens when the shit hits the fan for an extended period.  On that
measure, I would rank the candidates this way:

(1.) McCain.  He'll take immediate action, however the downside is
that it may not be the right action and, being older, I think true
understanding could take longer.  The upside is that he's wise and may
not need that time.  Throughout the crises he'd be honest and open and
course correct if needed.

(2.) Obama.  He's partially an academic and would likely seek opinions
before acting.  The downside is he might lose the benefit of immediate
action.  The upside is that his action would be the best one and have
input for all sides of the aisle.  Throughout the crises he'd be
honest and open and course correct if needed.

(3.) Clinton.  She'd take immediate action, however the downside is
that it may not be the right action and, with Bill yapping in her ear,
she'd be prone to believe her action was right no matter what the
data.  Throughout the crises she'd obfuscate the truth or lie and only
change course after it was too late, if ever.  And then she'd lie
about the course change saying that it's what she'd intended to do all
along.  Sound familiar?