That's awesome...it really is....but the only similarities between 1950's
era Japan and Germany, and 2000's era Iraq...is that the countries all have
an "a" in their name.

The differences are so profound, that while the broad aspect of your premise
is good (stay and create a stable democracy like we have in the past), the
devil is certainly in the details (Iraq is NOTHING like those countries, and
previous success is not indicative of future results).

Can't we help Iraq become a stable democracy without sacrificing our
soldiers in what amounts to intermittent acts of civil disobedience? Our
soldiers are policing another country's domestic crime, and I just think
that sucks.