I agree that hallways are a waste of space, but I like entryways - a
little nook for putting shoes on and such that separates the world
from my public space. I guess the den space could function like that.
It's just hard to get a feel for it from a layout drawing.

And, I'm all about location. I would never live in the 'burbs. I have
a 16 minute commute by bike, 20 by bus, or 30-ish by foot (running). I
could get closer to my office, but not by much before I'd wind up in
college housing.