> Erika wrote:
> Oh, and that same "deal of the century" stuff that you like about the
> housing market, currently applies to the boating market. :) Dock space and
> boats ...

Have you ever considered a sailing cat?  They're kinda spendy, but
about the same as a decent suburban house and with all the same
features and you can go anywhere in the world for really cheap.  There
are people that circumnavigate the globe in these, and live quite
well, for about $25k/yr.  Plus you could have internet access and
still work!

Here's one of my favorites:
http://www.cata-lagoon.com/420_pres_uk.php

This one, however, is about $150k brand new:
http://performancecruising.com/Default.asp

There's a whole sub-culture of people world crusing - they have
schools, doctors, everything you'd need and all on the ocean.

Another thing you can do is buy one and have it used for rent (or
profit) and then live in it at some point.  This is usually done out
of the BVI by companies like this one:
http://www.moorings.com/

Here's a couple that's done just that for the last year and now is
chucking it all to cruise the world:
http://www.aboarddignity.com/

They've got the hybrid lagoon 420, but I'd get diesel since it's a
sail boat and you only use the engines when needed (docking, etc).