A client came to me with their laptop.  The thing is absolutely infested with
viruses.  I plan on just slicking it and doing a clean install, but I need to
get their documents and photos off the drive first.

The system will not even start in safe mode.  It gets to the desktop, lets you
click enough to open my documents or something, then everything disappears,
then the desktop disappears.

I'm looking around for an anti virus boot disk but avira's site is having
problems, and I'm not sure what to use.

Also, I will probably be attaching an external harddrive to put the documents
on.  How can I be sure that the hard drive will not get infected but still get
the documents?