At 11:31 AM 4/2/02, you wrote:
>recall that former Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin was a "freedom
>fighter" in the Irgun during the struggle for Israeli independence after
>WWII. However, the target of the "freedom fighters" was the British
>Military. This in my opinion separates a "freedom fighter" from a terrorist
>who attacks civilians.
>
>If the Palestinian Hamas and Islamic Jihad movements were to conduct their
>attacks and suicide bombings exclusively against the Israeli army in the
>West Bank and Gaza, I would consider it equivalent to the American Colonies
>struggle against the British occupation, the Israeli struggle over 50 years
>ago, etc.  Instead, I consider it cold-blooded murder.
To be totally fair I have to agree. Army against army is war. Army against civilians
is terror. Hamas is an army as are the other groups. Of course, The entire basis of
the Oslo agreement was that the fighting would stop, Arafat would have a police force
to stop it on his side and there would be negotiations. Maybe the next person in his
position will uphold that and the negotiations (and peace) can get back on track.