As per usual since our massive reorg at the office I've been working all
weekend.  A few hours ago my router seemed to crap the bed... kept shutting
down/rebooting every 30 seconds or so.

So after some frustrating debugging (it's hard to debug a device that's only
active for 20 seconds at a time) I decided to hit up the local 24-hour
Walmart and pick up a cheapy one until I could order a decent one.  Got
there at a little after midnight.

Walked in... the place wasn't packed, but there were a hell of a lot more
people than I expected (I'm in Scranton, PA... not exactly what you'd call a
nightlife).  Four registers were open but there were at least 20 people in
each line.

So I make my way to the back of the store, grab up one of the many LinkSys
WRT54G's they got and head back up front.  On the way I passed the Blu-Ray
rack so I treated myself to the "Blade Runner" 5 Disc collector's edition
(only $25!) and a bag of Reeses' Miniatures (on sale!).  I get in that
surprisingly long line.

I had a lot of time to people watch in my nearly 30 minutes in line.

At least seven people had children under 5 with them.  One kid started
crying and throwing a tantrum... tossing stuff out of the cart and
screaming.  The mother kept saying "Stop this right now!" or "I'm not
bringing you here again" and I kept thinking "Serves you right for bringing
a four-year out at midnight you silly bitch".

The entire time I was in line I heard no English except from the cashier...
the three latino guys in front of me were all looked disapprovingly at the
mother with the screaming kid so I mentally branded them "Okay".  The two
asian kids behind were openly laughing at her so I mentally branded them
"idiots".

The idiots were apparently shopping on the "I gotta get me one of them!"
plan... they had (among many other things) a Guitar (because we all know
that if you want a guitar Walmart is the place to go), several packages of
"Justice League" underpants and a reading lamp.

The group in front of me were more enigmatic.  Each member of the group had
two items:

        +) Oldest guy had a paperback book and a large rollaway suitcase.

        +) Middle-age guy had a giant (at least half-a-gallon) dispenser of
"Dove" hand lotion and a small box of frozen fish sticks.

        +) The junior member of the group had one of those super-cheap CDs
of "nature sounds" and a large, "family size" tube of Crest toothpaste.

As I was leaving I entered into a minor argument: apparently somebody had
stopped their car to let a woman with a baby carriage cross into the parking
lot.  However that woman didn't actually want to cross.  The woman in the
car was waving her over and the woman with the baby was waving her away.

All told it was a truly surreal little trip.  Next time I get insomnia I
might just drive to the Walmart, find a nice quiet corner and people watch.

Oh - good news is that my router is actually fine.  It was the transformer
that went.  Using the transformer from the new one with the old router fixed
everything. To my knowledge this is the first time I've ever had a
transformer go...

Jim Davis