Maybe I didn't make it clear: but those three guys were together.  Maybe the
kid with the toothpaste could have stopped at a convenient store his
grandfather wouldn't have been able to pick up a suitcase and where would
dad have found a half-gallon of hand lotion?  ;^)

> In East Texas they go to WalMart for entertainment, or to stave off
> heatstroke. There is a place for WalMart I guess.... I just wish it
> didn't crowd out so much other stuff.

At least here it's hard to blame Walmart.  Small Scranton shops are being
pushed off the map, but by expansion in general.  In the past two decades or
so Dixon city has gone from one small mall and few stores to a dense
collection of nearly every large chain imaginable: Lowes, Home Depot, Best
Buy, Walmart, Target, Circuit City, Sears, Staples, etc - all within a
square mile or so.

Last year, on the other side of Scranton (and directly below my office),
they built a large "California-style" open mall... over a hundred generally
high-end shops and services.  Word has it that the large recently-leveled
lot next that will host (another) Home Depot and a Target.

So who's fighting with Scranton traffic to hit the Steamtown Mall anymore?

Jim Davis