> Beth-
>
> this is why I'm a Reform Jew.

I cant' be a reform jew, I dont' believe in the religion.  just the culture.

> My daughter had a Bat Mitzvah - not known in Orthodoxy.
> She wore a Tallit (prayer shawl) and Yarmulke.
> She chanted from the Torah.

interestingly enough my secular, athiest mother felt my brother needed a bar
mitzvah but not her daughter.  And as "feminist" (hate the word because its
rife with anti-male sentiment to many people and I am not in any way
anti-men) as I am that is how she raised me.  But she felt a girl didnt'
need a bat mitzvah.  She did ask me if I REALLY wanted one, and told me that
she didnt think I did, so I said no (because of how she asked me).

> I try not to feel "inferior" to Orthodox Jews who hew to the mitzvot. I
must
> say, though, it bothers me that the Orthodoxy (particularly in Israel)
tries
> very  hard to not only make me feel that way, but to say I am not really a
> Jew.

Thats interesting because even the most orthodox of jews consider me a jew.
A bad jew maybe but a jew nonetheless.

My friend was asked by her son whether being a jew is being a religion or
being a race because his teacher taught him its a religion.  She called me
to ask - I said that it wasnt' quite clear but quite frankly if its passed
via the mother, how could it be just a religion?  The teacher told the kid
he was incorrect and its a religion.  Ah well.