Surfing and snowboarding are pretty similar from a movement point of view.
As Tony said, standing up is the hardest part about learning to surf. You
need to learn to pop up quickly. That involves essentially doing a push-up,
then continuing the movement by pulling your feet under your torso, planting
them squarely, and standing up in one fluid motion.  Then you need to learn
front-back/left-right balance on the board. Start with a longboard, they are
like moving sidewalks- really stable and easy to stay on compared to a
shortboard.