What about gay couples who adopt children?

David Churvis

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Grant [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:47 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: the list

Well after reading this post I just had to say something. And I'm sure that
my comments are going to lead to gaining a few enemies.

Let me preface my comments by saying I have absolutely no problem with two
consenting adults choosing to do whatever they like. I have about a half
dozen gay friends. One couple, Brian and Peter, have been together for close
to 20 years and I would consider them one of the closest friends of my wife
and I. I am not religious, and don't believe in intelligent design either.
That being said...

If we draw our conclusions of what's "right" and what's "wrong" from
biology... the only proper "union" is between a male and a female of the
same species. Genetically there's a fail safe in place to ensure that what's
not biologically "normal" won't produce offspring. And in the instance of a
man and a woman from identical parents their offspring are generally doomed.
Evolution has made the determination of what's right and wrong.
Inter-species unions won't produce offspring nor will homosexual unions as
it's not part of the biological blueprint.

Keeping that in mind, let's look at the root of marriage. Marriages (in the
traditional sense) get certain tax breaks and legal advantages because the
assumption is that people get married, have children and help grow the
populace and therefore strengthen the country. Remember that when marriage
laws were originally created it was assumed that 1) all married people
strive to have children and 2) people don't have children out of wedlock.

So since there is zero chance of a gay marriage producing more Americans,
why extend tax breaks and advantages to such a union?

I think many people mix up tolerance and acceptance for normality.
Biologically same sex couples aren't the rule, they're the exception.
Tolerance and acceptance should be exercised to ensure they aren't
persecuted. But from a biological stand point same sex couples have the same
genealogical success rate as a zebra and an elephant. And if we say that all
relationships are "normal" and deserve the same marital rights then why
shouldn't brothers and sisters be allowed to marry as well?

ok, now everyone can attack me and call me a pinhead. Just know that I
honestly don't judge homosexuals or think they should be persecuted. However
I don't think gay couples should be entitled to the same economic status as
straight couples.