> So, what about infertile couples, or people who marry after the age of 50?

Or couples that simply choose not to have children (Mr. and Mrs. Gruss
have a career and an Audi for their kids, but are married, should they
be penalized because they're not crapping out a few yard-apes?).

Just because one can, does not mean one does, especially in this age of choice.

How about couples that adopt, should they get tax breaks for having
kids even though the kids are not biologically theirs? Foster
parents... Gay couples can get in on that too.

Gay couples are allowed to adopt in all states but Arkansas, but even
so, since they can't claim married filing jointly they're relegated
(and unfairly so) to another status.

> (so far, the argument does not hold much water)

indeed it does not...

--
will

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true;
and that would just be unacceptable."
- Carrie Fisher