Not at all. I agree that the regulatory structure is completely screwed up,
but I don't think it is accurate to characterize the financial markets as
unregulated. There are clearly gaps like the ones you illustrate, and they
need to be dealt with. John Allison pointed out some other things that need
to be re-examined. I don't agree with him on all counts, but he makes some
good points about mark-to-market accounting, FDIC insurance, policy-based
financial regulation that is out of alignment with good economic management,
and the Federal Reserve. I'm not sure I agree with or even understand his
arguments about doing away with FDIC and the Federal Reserve, but I like the
fact that he has a no sacred cows approach to looking at our problems.