On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Robert Munn wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Gruss wrote:
>

>> Why is it that if you serve your country in the military you're big
>> hero, but if you serve it by monitoring our economy you're a "slow,
>> bureaucratic, wasteful" loser?  It's the same country, the same
>> bureaucracy.
>

> When you join the Armed Forces, they own your ass and if you don't do as you
> are told you end up in jail. The entire remainder of the government works in
> exactly the opposite fashion. Once you are hired as a civil servant, it's
> practically impossible to get fired, no matter how poorly you perform.
> Change those rules and change the culture of the "more more more" budgeting
> process and you have a shot at some real reforms. Until then, it will be the
> same old, same old in Washington.

Bah.  Evolution will take care of it. (Or, a DJ will fix it-
wreble-wroble fix it wrible-wrible fix it in the mix)

Probably, the solution will come from the successes of Open Source culture.

I'm pretty sure there's some /c-c-c-crazy/ stuff on the horizon, due
mostly to our improved communication networks, but the fun is in
knowing that, well, it could go either way.

Well, even funner, is rationalizing what way is the "good way".

--
With rationalization on your side, you never lose