I'm just not a big fan of Apple software but the iPhone is a slick piece of
hardware.  ;^)

(Of course I've also been using Windows CE on multiple devices since it was
released so there's probably more than a little tech inertia there).

One of the main issues with price for me is just that I get 20% discount
from work from Sprint but only a 10% discount from AT&T.  At least in this
area (Scranton, PA) Sprint seems (from what I could make out) to have
slightly better coverage, but that doesn't really seem to matter (friends
with iPhones have never mentioned any problems).

I'm still looking for the best crossword puzzle application although I have
been very happy with some things.  On previous PPCs I always HAD to install
Caligrapher but the new version of Transcriber (both are handwriting
recognition) seems really slick (bizarrely it seems to have the most trouble
with my "esses" but everything else is REALLY crisp).

I'll probably wait until the WinMo 6.5 images start hitting and install one
of those without any of the HTC stuff (I love the hardware, love WinMo but a
lot of the "veneer" apps that HTC added in just annoyed me), but I'm loving
it so far.  The camera application is okay, but very annoying, for example
(HTC seems to have decided that using "glossy black" was the primary driver
for all their applications).

I also have to say: it's actually worth reading the manual.  For example the
screen itself is a resistive touch screen (which I prefer) but I wasn't
actually aware that the control panel below is a capacitive touch area as
well.  For example when viewing a picture you can stroke (not press) the
"wheel" to zoom and press it to move between pictures.  Some apps let you
zoom font size and such in the same way.  I didn't realize it at all until I
stumbled on it then read the basic manual on the phone and found a bunch of
other instances.

My only real annoyance now is that I wish it was easier to switch
browsers... the phone comes with both Opera Mobile and Pocket IE.  Opera's
the default but I'm not just not grokking it - it's clearly a better
renderer, but actually USING it is driving me crazy.

In the end tho' the absolute biggest differentiator is just the unlimited
data... not having to worry about that has opened up SO MUCH more.
Downloading podcasts, hitting YouTube to get a laugh at lunch, leaving IM
active, etc - not having to think about all that and just plain enjoy it is
something I'm getting very used to.  I don't see how I could ever consider a
metered plan ever again.

Jim Davis