Google definitely dogfoods their own products, but I haven't seen anything
that indicates that Google apps are the corporate standard... have you?

I'm not saying that they do or don't - but IF they do then a few
white-papers detailed the challenges they've faced would definitely be an
interesting read.

> > that have come to depend on certain higher-end
> > features available in offline apps (such as revision tracking, work-
> group
> > management, etc).
>
> Revision tracking is available in Google Docs and Spreadsheets.
> Groups are too, though it's very very rudimentary in it's design.

Maybe they've improved - the first time I looked you could track revisions
only at the "whole document" level, not within the document.  Word's "Track
Changes", for example, tracks each change include when it was made and who
made it - are they at level yet?

Of course those were just two examples - you can rattle off any number of
features not available.  Of course most of them just aren't ever used by
most people but many of them, individually, are absolutely essential for
different people.  For example I use auto-indexing and table of content
generation extensively in nearly all my documents.

I really need this to do the work that I do.  Professional writers need word
count features, others may need automation features, etc - all of those
"bloatware" features in the large packages are there because some part of
the audience NEEDS them.

> > In the end tho' the kind of documentation that I develop simply can't
> be
> > done with the Google tools.  They're not even close (yet).
>
> Yes, alot of formatting and drawing tools are absent.  It's restricted
> to HTML really, which makes even creating tables or data a huge PITA

Exactly - and I'm sure they'll get better sooner than later but I think it's
premature to consider them "Office Killers" at this point.

> > (they have a basic Word Processing and Spread Sheet but no
> presentation,
> > layout, project management or diagramming packages - yet).
>
> They do have a presentation package.

Do they?  I'll have to check it out.  ;^)