On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Justin Scott
<jscott-li...@gravityfree.com>wrote:

> Once those planes reach a certain speed on the takeoff run they commit to
> takeoff, even if an engine fails.  The idea being that if you reached that
> speed you will probably be able to liftoff and climb enough to come back
> around and land rather than not be able to stop and guarantee running out
> of
> runway.  Anything happens before that speed and they abort.  After that
> speed, the plane is going to keep moving forward even in the face of most
> emergencies.  The speed varies depending on the airplane, of course.
>
> -Justin

Ya know, even if it turns out that Sully originally did f*** up, that
wouldn't really change his hero status in my eyes. Pilots make mistakes a
lot, and they usually don't live to tell about it...and rarer still do every
single one of their passengers live to tell about it.

--
His gentle means of sculpting souls
Took me years to understand