To answer both:

Croydon. And I miss it tremendously. Met a bunch of great people. I ADORE
the public transit. The history, the pubs, the access to all the different
countries, etc.

Why I went is a bit more personal. Suffice it to say I was at a crossroads
in life and took the path that looked like it would be the best adventure.
It ended up being the BEST adventure, but amongst the tribulations and
excitement, there were a few trials that ended badly. All in all, I would do
it over again in a heartbeat.

I've been working for myself for over 10 years now, so packing up and moving
to another continent was not an issue. Have laptop will travel. :)