> I have no evidence one way or the other to make
> this decision.  I can't make an assumption based
> on incomplete evidence so I don't worry about it.
> I'm considered an atheist because I don't have a
> belief in a god, but I also don't have a belief
> there is no god.  It's really that simple.

If that is the case, you're not an atheist, you're agnostic, just like me.
Agnostic literally means "without knowledge."  So really we're talking about
the same thing; you're just using a different label for yourself which
really doesn't fit your belief system.  Atheists reject god entirely, but
you just said you don't have a basis to decide whether to reject or accept
god, so you're agnostic, not atheist.  Definitely no need to get offended
when someone states an opinion about atheism in that case.

-Justin