The airlines used to charge a "headphone fee". Back
then, they had the "air hose" headphones. When the
airlines switched to standard wired headphones and
people started bringing their own, you had arguments
like "$3 headphone fee" "but these are mine not
yours" "well we have to charge you anyway" -- like
a "corkage fee" in a restaurant?  Then they started
calling it a fee for using the on-board entertainment,
regardless of whose headphones they were. Now, some
airlines gave up and don't try to charge at all.

-Ben