Why would so many industrial designers document and explain how to
design products so that they definitely fail after a specific time?

The concept here is that if I do absolutely nothing with all the
materials needed to make a Tire, the tire costs me 30 dollars to make,
and will last 10 years.

However if I modify a few of the materials the tire costs me 30
dollars to make and will only last 1 year.
I choose to modify the materials so that the tire exits the consumer
chain faster and so that a consumer will need to purchase a new tire
in 1 year instead of 10 to increase my sales.

That's very different to the assumption that you make which is that it
will cost less to make the tire that lasts 1 year.
That is much closer to the reality of what Planned Obsolescences is
and how the consumer encounters it.

The concept of planned obsolescence implies that if the technology
existed to create a tire that would last 15 years it would never be
released.

Opponents to this form of business are not arguing that from a purely
Greed based business standpoint forcing customers to purchase new
tires every year does not make sense.
They are arguing that the planet cannot sustain this method of business.