You will be told to buy as many CALS as the lousy salesman can con you
into...

sign up for MSDN.. that covers your development and testing.. everything you
do up til the point where it constitutes conducting commerce or effecting
interstate commerce...

The CAL liscensing is simply VOODOO... MS got pissed because people started
writing more and more apps that were on the web layer... so essentially the
CALS on any of this sweatshop WARE (include ORACLE here)... is to be by CPU
typically and for each application that touches their big old cool app...
ideally if you have something like a SQL server running and resell to
clients that would be out of scope of regular liscensing... you thereby are
required to cover the clients with their own seats...

Think of this CAL bullshit as anywhere you expect to make money by
multipling the usability of your license, well they expect to be making
money too... its that simple..

We dealt with it on Microsoft... thus we went with SUN... and we got slammed
with Oracle mystery pricing...

You will not get slammed for software piracy... people get smacked because
they run businesses and piss employees off who make calls... These same
companies also tend not to pay at all or grossly abuse the privilege of
using others software without relational compensation...

-paris