>That's why anything that requires a judges score, is probably not a
>sport....it's an exhibition...

Well, all depends on how you decide to define it, and everyone seems to have
their own set of biases in terms of what they use. To me, "sport" implies three
things....competition, physical effort/skill, and a set of rules to govern who
wins. The sports that are judged still have very definitive criteria on what
they are supposed to be scoring. That's actually where they've tried to go with
scoring in ice skating, to make it as objective as possible and make it
considerably less political. Perfect? Definitely not. But neither is the
umpiring in baseball, determination of fouls in basketball, football, etc. Even
objective sports don't lack for controversy or complaining. We hear all the
time about refs "stealing" the game. Heck the swimmer that Phelps beat by 0.001
sec at the Olympics still says he thinks he won and the electronic timer was
wrong.

I've heard all kinds of theories about what "sport" is, requiring things like
head-to-head competition (no competing against the clock as in skiing), minimal
equipment required (no motorcross, racecars, horse sports, etc.) or even that
it has to be direct physical contact against the opponents (there goes golf,
baseball, track and field, etc.) It's almost like an argument about religion,
why do people get so caught up in what is and isn't a sport??

>I don't think anyone on the Canadian team criticized anyone did they?

I was referring to the comment on the list about the US "sulking".