Well, we're tied to oil so we're not really free to do a lot. But even
with that, we can have a positive effect. We have to move slowly,
carefully, forcefully and fairly. We have to know when to be loud,
when to be soft, and when to be quiet. We have to remember that
everyone in the region is looking for his own good over that of anyone
else. We have to remember that the UN exists as a tool of those in
power, not their people - so don't expect much from them.
We can make a change but it'll take a few more lifetimes. Expecting it
to be in 2 months or 2 years is a pipe dream. All Obama can do is
build take the previously created foundation, work with it, lay down
some more bricks, and expect the next president to do the same. Taking
the 'we will win' attitude will result in failure in the middle east.
We need to look at the long game.

The middle east is a zero sum game to most of the players. Israel can
live with their neighbors but Hamas can't live with Israel. The goal
is to move those zero sum people to a different game.