So as leader of the country, Netanyahu is not responsible for what his
underlings do? yet the right wing has had tempertantrums when they
slightly disagree with something an Obama underling has done.

Isn't there a disconnect here?

The point remains that it was a deliberate provocation aimed at the
Vice-President and by extension the country. A deliberate insult. It
would be the same if immediately before Netanyahu's last visit, the
State Department announced a $500 million grant to Hamas.