As a child in public schools, I knew people that thought heroin was cool,
but I never did heroin because I had the sense to realize that it is a
dangerous drug that I shouldn't get involved with.  I really don't remember
if my mother (I was even raised in a single parent home until I was 10 when
my mother remarried...my father abandoned us when I was 5) even had the drug
talk with me or not...but I don't think that was my influencing factor.
Even later in life when I did get into some drugs, I never had the desire to
do coke or heroin or crack or anything like that.  We didn't have any gangs
in my school, so I can't say that I knew anyone that thought tagging was
cool in my school...but I could say that I thought it was pretty stupid.  I
did know some people though other venues (Boy Scouts actually) that
did...and I thought that they were pretty stupid.  What public schools
taught me is people do stupid shit but I also saw people who got involved in
things like that and then got away from it and excelled, which taught me
that people can rise above their circumstances and excel despite them.  Many
people believe that being smart or technical, or a history freak, or
whatever is weird or is acting too white.  You are always going to have
people like that...but it is up to the child (and the parents enforcing good
learning attitudes) to rise above that...just like in real life where it's a
dog eat dog world and the only person that is responsible for you is you.

I always loved history, I was in Spanish club (and took 3 years of Spanish
in HS), and was in soccer, wrestling, and track throughout HS.  I stood up
for people and was not punished for it.  Maybe the problem is with your
school and you do have the power to change that...the school board is
elected.  Vote someone else in if you find there is a problem.  Plus you can
go to your state board if your complaints fall on deaf ears. Dropping out of
the system is just that...dropping out.  And before it is asked...yes I have
children.  A 15 year old (who lives with her mother and is attending public
HS) and soon to be 5 year old.  One of the reasons I just moved is because I
didn't want my 5 year old to go to the school system where we used to live,
so we planned on moving to a better area when out lease expired anyway.

I just don't think that homeschooling is the answer.  You can't shelter your
children their whole life from negative influences.  They do have to learn
to make their own mistakes and learn that there are consequences to their
actions.  Sounds like your daughter made some bad choices and hung out with
the wrong people.  I hope she learned from those mistakes.  I would also
look at where, as a parent, I failed to get her the information she needed
to make better choices so that she didn't get into that situation to begin
with.