I have given some thought to this and it's like the old joke -- I may
be fat but you are stupid, and I can diet.

The thing about hate crimes that makes them particularly insidious is
that you are being hated not for your opinions or your actions, which
you control, but for some aspect of yourself which you do not. Or that
is how it looks to me, anyway, and for what it is worth, Frederick
Douglass said somehting of the kind about slavery. And MLK - "not by
the color of their skin but by the content of their character?

I suppose some people think religion is a matter of control, but not
really if you think about it. If you've been taught that you will go
to hell if you set foot in a protestant'catholic church then you
probably won't no matter what.

.02
Dana