It isn't stupidly honest, it is scrupulously honest.

No, it didn't affect his play.
Yes, it WAS a rules violation.
Yes, he was on the honor system.
No, probably no one would have called him on it.

But, as many a person has said before, character is what you do when no one
is watching.

In basketball, it isn't a player's job to self report a foul or a goaltend.
In football, it isn't a player's job to self report a penalty, or a fumble,
or a dropped ball.
In baseball, it isn't a player's job to self report to running outside the
bases, or a dropped ball.

In golf, it is all on the player to be honest. And even to err on the
"maybe" side of a mistake.