Interstate insurance purchasing is a sham.  Insurance companies would do the
exact same thing credit card companies did and find the state with the least
amount of regulations and make their home there...ever wonder why there are
so many credit card businesses in Delaware?  Tort reform isn't the answer
either.  We need the ability to sue doctors and hospitals when they fuck up,
otherwise there will be nothing to limit the crackpots that shouldn't be
practicing first aid, let alone medicine.

As far as what drives up costs to us, it's the paperwork and endless hoops
the insurance industry puts the doctors through...medicare is pennies
compared to that.  For profit hospitals are not much better.  When I lost my
insurance a couple of years ago, I continued to see my private doctor.  His
rate was 150/hr.  Because he no longer had to deal with insurance, and thus
did not have to employ his office staff for me, he was able to drop his
rates for me to 80/hr...just to give you an idea of how much doctors pay
people to deal with the paperwork involved with insurance companies.  I also
asked him about medicare, and he told me that the amount of paperwork needed
for that is next to nothing compared to insurance.  My mother works for a
chiropractor and does the billing for the office.  It's insane what the
insurance companies do to try and not pay doctors.  If we were to take the
insurance companies out of the picture, healthcare would actually be
affordable.

I am a diabetic.  I get random leg infections (generally staph) that require
that I stay in the hospital a few days on IV antibiotics and pain meds.
Last year I went to a local hospital and went through the ER (there's a
whole 'nother rant involved with that...not a good experience...lets just
say that as a medic, if I had treated a patient like they treated me, I
would have expected to get courts martialed) and stayed for 4 days.  I was
no insured at the time.  During my stay, I had my normal diabetes meds, IV
antibiotics, and pain meds.  They did lab work twice I think.  When they
checked my blood sugar levels, it was with a common meter just like we would
buy at the drugstore...nothing fancy or special and no lab work involved in
that.  The total bill for my 4 day stay was $25,000.  Metformin is a common
diabetes drug.  If I were to go to Walgreens and buy a 30 day supply (90
pills), it would cost me 57.50 with no insurance.  The hospital charged me
$30.00/pill...basically if I were to buy from them, that same 30 day supply,
at their rate, would cost me $2700.00.  Checking my blood sugar levels...125
a pop.  For those of you not familiar with meters, the cost of the strips
are about 12 cents each.  Meters generally run about $60 and are reusable
across patients.  Pretty much every drug they gave me was marked up 5-6
times the retail cost.  Hospitals don't pay retail...they pay wholesale
prices and get bulk discounts.  I would hazard to guess that they probably
pay 1/2-3/4's retail for their medical supplies and pharmaceuticals.

This industry need to be shot in the head and dumped in a shark filled
lagoon...though I might have some sympathy for the sharks as they would
probably get indigestion.  If the insurance industry disappeared
today...tomorrow would be a much better world.  The government gets to
choose who wins and loses by what industries help and what industries hurt.
The insurance industry only hurts.  They only exist to make as much money as
they possibly can and don't give a rats ass who they kill in the process.
You want death panels...well they already exist in the form of formularies
and accountants making medical decisions in the insurance industry.

While every system has it's horror stories, ours has more horror stories
than good ones.  The Canadian, UK, and other systems of socialized medicine
have their horror stories too, but those are a drop in the bucket compared
to the success stories.  The fact that someone need to come to the US for
liposuction because they don't want to wait for it only tells me that they
are impatient and spoiled and used to getting their way because they have a
shitload of money...not that there is anything wrong with their system of
medicine.  Don't take this as me saying that socialized medicine is perfect,
but it is a lot closer to perfect than ours is by leaps and bounds.

Eric