"I never thought Obama would be different in /that/ way.  And a lot of 'us'
on the list thought the same, as has been evidenced through commentary."

I didn't mean everybody.  I know some people are smart enough to distrust
any politician.

"I never *wanted* Bush to suck nuts.  Wishing the President to do a bad job
is just fucking insane.  Doing that while laughing at idealists seems like
bad karma, IMHO."

Me either.  I had low expectations though and he failed to meet them.  The
only two things he did well in my opinion were his supreme court picks and
he almost screwed one of those up.

I didn't want Obama to be ultra left wing either.  I was hoping for a more
moderate president who actually did believe in cooperation instead of saying
he believes in cooperation.  Oh well, politics as usual.

"Maybe instead of laughing, we should encourage the empowerment of the
people we are witness to.  Encourage continued involvement.  Apathy is so
damn easy."

Sounds like the Tea Parties to me.

By the way, speaking of apathy, here is one of my favorite lines about it:

Question:  Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?
Answer:  I don't know and I don't care.

"The stuff I did expect to change, did.  I can't believe we walked down that
dark road for 8 years!  This administration is *way* more communicative than
the last one.  That's a (if not the) major change I 'hoped' for"

You really think this admin is more communicative and open or better at
controlling communication?  Reporters will tell you that this White House is
less communicative than any White House they have worked with, including
Bush II. Read this <http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36454.html> if
you want see what the difference is.

Here's another example, using the ultra-conservative Helen Thomas:

Following a testy exchange during Wednesday’s briefing with White House
Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas
told CNSNews.com that not even Richard Nixon tried to control the press the
way President Obama is trying to control the press.

“Nixon didn’t try to do that,” Thomas said. “They couldn’t control (the
media). They didn’t try.

“What the hell do they think we are, puppets?” Thomas said. “They’re
supposed to stay out of our business. They are our public servants. We pay
them.”

"If we don't believe in the idea, there's nothing to shoot for."

The idea of the US was beautiful.  Unfortunately, it has been distorted,
morphed, and stretched way out of shape.  I am not sure the original idea
can be saved.  But, this always happens.  Every country morphs and changes
until it is overrun finally absorbed b