Last year, the DOJ, led by Obama appointee Attorney General Eric Holder,
dropped a voter intimidation
case<http://www.justice.gov/crt/voting/misc/philadelphia_bpp_comp.php>against
Samir Shabazz, head of the Philadelphia chapter of the New Black
Panther Party, and party member Jerry Jackson.  There is a
video<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU>of these two standing
outside of a Philadelphia voting site with clubs.

Before the dismal, the case was moving along towards a conviction.
Especially after, Shabazz and Jackson failed to show for their court date.
The only consequence of the case was Shabazz being ordered not to take
weapons to polling places in Philadelphia through 2012.

Recently, J. Christian Adams resigned his job at the DOJ in order to protest
what he called political interference in the case.  He claimed that
Associate Attorney General Thomas Perrelli, another Obama appointee,
overruled a unanimous recommendation by six career Justice attorneys to
continue the case.

Due to increasing interest in the case, Assistant Attorney General Thomas
Perez said the case had been re-review and that there was insufficient
evidence to proceed.

"That claim is false," Adams wrote in the Washington Times last month. "If
the actions in Philadelphia do not constitute voter intimidation, it is hard
to imagine what would, short of an actual outbreak of violence at the
polls."

Adams also wrote that the dismissal of the case "was motivated by a lawless
hostility toward equal enforcement of the law."

As for the re-review Adams wrote, "the lawyers who ordered the dismissal ...
did not even read the internal Justice Department memorandums supporting the
case and investigation."

Adams also wrote what's "most disturbing,"  is "the open and pervasive
hostility within the Justice Department to bringing civil rights cases
against nonwhite defendants on behalf of white victims. Equal enforcement of
justice is not a priority of this administration. Open contempt is voiced
for these types of cases.

"Some of my coworkers," Adams continued, "argued that the law should not be
used against black wrongdoers because of the long history of slavery and
segregation. ... Incredibly, after the case was dismissed, instructions were
given that no more cases against racial minorities like the Black Panther
case would be brought by the [Justice Department's] Voting Section."
Aside from the video above, Adams said they have sworn witness testimonies
stating that the two tried to block people from entering polls,

There is also video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhzJnJIilI> of Shabazz
going on a racist rampage about killing crackers and their children.  Here
is the transcript:

I hate white people, all of them. Every last iota of a cracker, I hate him.
We didn't come out here to play this game. There's too much serious business
going on in the black community to be out here sliding through South Street
with white dirty cracker whore [ BLEEP ] on our arms. And we call ourselves
black men with African garb on. What the hell is wrong with you, black man?
You had a (unintelligible) with a white girl on your damn arm. You want
freedom? You are going to have to kill some crackers. You might have to kill
some of their babies.

While not specifically germane to the case, it certainly helps reflect
Shabazz's character.

Some former DOJ employees have come forward to support Adams.

Asheesh Agarwal (2006-2008, deputy assistant attorney general in the Civil
Rights Division):

During his tenure with the Department of Justice’s Voting Section, J.
Christian Adams was a model attorney who vigorously enforced federal voting
rights laws on behalf of all voters, without respect to race or ideology.
Mr. Adams was also one of the most productive and successful voting
attorneys in recent memory.

His victories include two cases on behalf of African-American voters under
Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, two cases on behalf of white voters
under Section 2, and six cases on behalf of Hispanic voters under Section
203 of the Voting Rights Act. He also brought and won three cases on behalf
of military voters. Having worked closely with Mr. Adams for several years,
I can attest to the unsurpassed quality of his character, judgment, and
commitment to the cause of civil rights on behalf of all Americans.

Mark Corallo, (former Department of Justice director of public affairs)

As the Department of Justice director of public affairs under Attorney
General John Ashcroft, I witnessed the hostility of the “career” Civil
Rights Division attorneys firsthand.

Internal disagreements over policy routinely became matters for the press,
via leaks to reporters or leaks to Democrat members of Congress. They had no
compunction about breaking the ethical requirement of attorneys to keep
those internal deliberations confidential.

I am not surprised that the Department is attacking J. Christian Adams. The
Civil Rights Division attorneys have no interest in the rule of law as
written and passed by Congress — the New Black Panther case is glaring proof
that the Division has an agenda. If Congress was truly interested in
oversight, there would be hearings on this case and others.

J. Christian Adams did the honorable thing in resigning and speaking out.

Democrats constantly complained about the lack of oversight when Republicans
were the majority party in Congress. Can any reasonable person imagine the
Democrats ignoring a case of blatant violations of the Voting Rights Act
(captured on video) brought by career Civil Rights Division attorneys being
dismissed by a Republican attorney general?

Any veteran of the Justice Department should be outraged.
Robert Driscoll (2001-03, Deputy Assistant Attorney General)

When I served as chief of staff and deputy assistant attorney general in the
Civil Rights Division under John Ashcroft, I became familiar with the
internal politics of the Division, and am therefore not surprised by the
accounts of J. Christian Adams describing the New Black Panther voting case.

While I met many excellent lawyers in the Division dedicated to the rule of
law, too many of the the career staff (a term never to be confused with
“apolitical”) viewed the role of the Civil Rights Division as simply that of
a government-funded advocacy group whose responsibility was to work on
behalf of favored political and agenda-driven constituencies — and not to
neutrally apply the law (as written by Congress, and interpreted by the
courts) to the facts.

In contrast, as a private attorney I encountered J. Christian Adams (and
other voting section members, including then Chief Christopher Coates and
Deputy Chief Tim Mellett) while handling a voting rights matter against the
DOJ. Adams and the rest of the team acted professionally and consistent with
their understanding of the law and facts. While I disagreed with Mr. Adams
and the DOJ team on some matters of interpretation, I could not have told
you the political views of Mr. Adams or any of the attorneys I encountered
based on my interaction with them.

Moreover, the position taken by Mr. Adams in that case was certainly not
pushing any conservative agenda, as the suit sought to increase
African-American representation on an elected body (based on ambiguous
evidence of vote dilution) and resulted in the adoption of a voting plan
designed to enhance the ability of minority voters to influence the outcome
of elections.

While it is certainly within the authority of the senior levels of the DOJ
Civil Rights Division to make the final litigation decision on any case,
including the New Black Panther matter, it would seem to me that dismissal
of that case — after default has been entered and where video evidence
exists — is a highly unusual decision that is worthy of congressional
oversight. While some may cast such oversight in partisan terms, it need not
be.

The video of the defendants in the Black Panther matter was seen by
millions. While most have not studied civil rights law or the Voting Rights
Act in detail, viewers of the video assume that the kind of conduct shown in
the video is inappropriate at a polling place. A lawsuit was filed by
experienced voting rights lawyers at DOJ to remedy the situation and prevent
such future conduct. And yet the case was dismissed voluntarily by the DOJ
(after a shift in administration), a result that seems — at a visceral level
— strange to anyone who has seen the video.

The detailed testimony of the decision-makers (not the subsequent appointee
who was not around at the time of the decision) would be enlightening and
educational. If the dismissal of the case against the Black Panthers was a
result of political influence (as Mr. Adams alleges — an allegation that
does not seem far-fetched, based on my experience), that is important to
know. Political decisions can have political consequences and one can
imagine there would be consequences if a political appointee “weighed in” on
behalf of a fringe group like the New Black Panthers. But even if the DOJ is
correct that no political influence played a role, oversight is perhaps even
more important.

If this is indeed the view of senior career DOJ staff — that after reviewing
the facts of the New Black Panther case and the video, current laws against
voter intimidation provide no ability for the DOJ to properly bring an
action against the New Black Panther members shown on video and mentioned in
the lawsuit — then Congress needs to have a conversation with Attorney
General Holder about whether the problem lies with the Voting Rights Act
itself, or with those whose job it is to enforce it.

Besides the case against the Black Panthers, Adams also pointed out another
case of interest.  For three years, the DOJ pursued a case against
Missouri.  The DOJ wanted Missouri to clean up its voter registration
records since more than 1/3 of the counties in that state had more
registered voters than they had in voting age residents.  Adams said that
Deputy Assistant Attorney General Julie Fernandes made an announcement that
she would not support any enforcement of a key section of the federal "Motor
Voter" law -- Section 8, which requires states to periodically purge their
voter rolls of dead people, felons, illegal voters and those who have moved
out of state.  He quoted her as saying:  "We're not interested in those kind
of cases. What do they have to do with helping increase minority access and
turnout? We want to increase access to the ballot, not limit it.".  After no
significant progress by Missouri, the DOJ dropped the case last year

I don't know if Shabazz and Jackson are guilty.  It certainly looks like
there is enough evidence to support a trial so that  a jury or judge could
decide.  There is no reason to allow Missouri to keep voter registration
records that are grossly inaccurate.  It's time for the DOJ to be
investigated, else it may look like it is practicing selective justice.

-

"America is increasingly a multiracial, multiethnic, and multicultural
society. For such a diverse group of people to be able to live and function
together in a democratic society, there have to be certain common standards
that we are bound by and that protect us all. ... For the Department of
Justice to enforce the Voting Rights Act only to protect members of certain
minority groups breaches the fundamental guarantee of equal protection. ..."
- Christopher Coates (former ACLU lawyer and current employ