I live in Portland, Oregon and am a many generation Oregonian. I've
got a bunch of friends in Seattle as well and have spent some time
there. I know that Jerry Johnson, from this list, used to live in
Portland.

What do you want to know about the Northwest? Portland and Seattle are
definitely "green" in both the sense that it is very verdant and in
the ecological sense. Good mass transit (more so in Portland than
Seattle), lots of bike culture, vibrant local music scene, wide
selection of local beers, wines, cheeses, lots of farmers markets and
coops, 2 chickens in every back yard, etc.

As Larry mentioned, there is a lot of cloudiness and rain in Portland
and Seattle. However, summer is absolutely gorgeous. From 4th of July
to late September it is most commonly in the 80s to low 90s with low
humidity and lots of sun pretty much every day. And things are still
green due to the moist surroundings the other 9 months.  But a lot of
people don't realize that there is a lot more to Oregon and Washington
than Portland and Seattle. The Cascade mountains divide Western and
Eastern Oregon/Washington and create a very different climate both
meteorologicaly and socially.  The southeast portion of Oregon is a
pretty vast high desert climate with mesas, wild mustangs and big
cattle ranches. The rolling hills of the Palouse in Eastern Washington
is utterly different than green-gray moistness of Seattle.

So what size city are you looking for? What activities do you like?
What sort of vibe are you looking for in a place to live? Feel free to
ask away here or privately and I'll be glad to answer any questions
you have. And if you and the wife come out for a visit, I'll gladly
show you around and buy the first pint of your beverage of choice.

Cheers,
Judah