No its simply a fact, not an excuse. For instance take the NORC
dataset (see http://www.norc.org/homepage.htm) - this data is the
result of a 20 year longitudinal study of all the children in the
Chicago region school systems, including urban, suburban and rural
systems. The children were followed throughout their school career. In
the end over 50,000 children were followed for about 1 to 14 years.
Not only was school achievement assess, but socioeconomic status,
parental involvement, etc.

The shared variance (or r squared value) between race and economic
status was over 40%, meaning that the two factors (race and SES) were
strongly related. To such an extent that you cannot statistically
remove the effect of poverty from ethnicity effects nor can you
eliminate the effects of race on effects due to socio-economic status.

Similar results are found in the census data and in other very large
datasets. Its not saying that one group is better than the other, its
saying that this strong relationship exists and has to be taken into
account in any statistical model you create.