I can never tell if it's a sad testament to our ultimate aim to destroy
ourselves that we seem to so often bring ourselves right to the brink of
annihilation..........or a terrific testimony to our basic common sense that
given so many opportunities to "push the button" on our mutual destruction,
we have always chosen to survive???

Probably a bit of both.