The PA is not telling them they cannot build the church. As a matter
fo fact, its just the opposite:

"The church continues to have the right to rebuild at their original
site, and we will pay fair market value for the underground space
beneath that building," a spokesperson with the Port Authority told
Fox News.

It not a matter of whether or not they have permission to build a
church, its a matter of who is going to pay for it. (I know, it sucks,
the details show this is completely unrelated..at all)

It sounds like a he said/she said in terms of who was responsible for
the negotiations being called off. Sadly, we will likely never know
the truth, but I bet they both share some blame.