I can't find anything on the CDC.

As for Clinton, I found this:
ADDRESSING THE THREAT OF EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASES
http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/pdd_ntsc7.htm

This doesn't mention any funding but if you remember back then the GOP
took over in 1994 and you refer to 1996. They would have had to
approve the funding first before removing it

It appears the money send before 2005 wasn't doing anything anyway:
http://www.aei.org/outlook/27859