On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Robert Munn <cfmuns...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Companies are terrified to expand in the face of significant
> uncertainties in regulations (cap and trade), taxes, and consumer
> sentiment.

I think that this is part of it but you are way overstating the case.
Consumer demand is 70% of the economy. If consumer demand is low and
consumer confidence is low, businesses aren't likely to expand. It
isn't rocket science. The good news is that consumer demand is showing
signs of rebounding a bit. Consumer demand is the engine for our
economy as it is currently tooled. Other things matter but if you
ignore consumer demand, the other stuff isn't going to amount to much.

The other thing to consider is productivity. Up until just the last 2
or 3 months, productivity has continue to rise. That means that any
added demand could be taken care of with the same workers.
Productivity has leveled off and in some instances declined a bit.
That is generally seen as a sign that increased demand will be met
with increased hiring.

> This isn't rocket science. The President should go on television
> tomorrow and say we're going to extend the Bush tax cuts and defer cap
> and trade legislation until the economy recovers. And forget about
> extending "most" of the tax cuts - the big chunk of money at the top
> is the money that will go to create new jobs through business
> investment.

I agree with you on cap and trade legislation. The bit about the Bush
tax cuts is pure bullshit. The top 1% of earners hasn't been hit by
the recession at anything near the same rate as the bottom portion.
Why is that? Because wealth in our country in excess of general
spending (housing, food, transportation, energy, etc) is largely
invested in the stock market. And while unemployment rates have been
high, the stock market has been doing fabulously.

If Obama was judged on the stock market (hey, remember all the shit he
was given on this list at the beginning of his term for market
declines? "The stock market hates Obama!") then he'd be a raging
success. However, the bulk of the population does not derive their
regular, ongoing wealth from market investments but rather from wages.
The opposite is true for the richest portion of the population.

Most of the rich don't directly invest in companies, they invest in
the market. The market is doing fine. Those that do invest directly in
companies (VCs) are not hurting for capital. The opposite is true,
actually, the hard part is finding good investments for the capital is
ready to be invested. Continuing the tax cuts for the wealthiest
portion of the population will do nothing to stimulate consumer demand
(which is the bulk of our economy) and will not produce any viable
scenario where businesses will start increasing hiring or capital
investment.

Judah