On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Jeff Garza <j...@garzasixpack.com> wrote:

> Sam, they're not going to get it.  Government has a monopoly on violent
> enforcement in America.  If you don't do what the government wants you will
> eventually find yourself staring down the barrel of a gun...

Listen, Jeff, please. Governments can be very bad. They can be
violent. They can be oppressive. I had an acquaintance of mine pulled
from his bed by a SWAT team, leaving his family cowering under pointed
guns, all on the order of John Ashcroft, because he sold glass pipes.
I have a good friend who is missing part of a finger and who had to
flee his home country of Communist Czechoslovakia because he had the
temerity to stand up as a judge to those who had power.

It is serious business. However, we aren't under a genuinely Facist
government. We don't have the Stasi who routinely go around
disappearing people for saying the wrong thing to the wrong person.
This is not a police state. Talk to anyone that's actually lived under
one and perhaps they can help you understand the huge, enormous
difference.

We are talking about a municipal law, aimed at a particular marketing
tactic, by a type of business. This is not the sort of thing that
leads to guns being pointed at anyone. You do a huge disservice to a
very serious situation when you blithely just go around saying things
like "you will eventually find yourself staring down the barrel of a
gun".

We've got serious problems in this country. Warrantless wiretapping,
extraordinary rendition...serious, serious stuff. Take a page from the
Rally to Restore Sanity though. Let's have a sense of perspective. Try
and measure your outrage and language to the actual seriousness of the
situation.

When we get all nuts and bombastic about every little thing, all we do
is make people totally dismiss us. People who want more extraordinary
power will use that to their benefit. Freak out and start going off
about the government taking people at gunpoint when we are talking
about Happy Meals and it gives more power to people who are engaging
in genuinely fascist behavior.

Jud