On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Larry C. Lyons <larrycly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> were wired with ethernet. After we left the area the reduced
> connection speeds took a lot of getting used to again.

I get that!  When I graduated from college in '95 I had to give up my
"9600 baud serial connection" in favor of modems.  Of course by then
the 14.4 modems were pretty common, so it wasn't a terrible loss, but
my roommate and I did get a dual channel ISDN line into our apartment,
which I had for a while before getting one-way cable internet in late
1997 (still needed a dialup for upstream)... that was great becuase
the downstream speed was really really fast.

Then, I moved to North Carolina in 1998, where I had to go back to the
56k modem for a good 2 years until the cable company finally started
offering high speed internet in my neighorhood.

This has been a History of Rick's Internet, by Rick Root.

Rick