I've totally avoided this topic up til now, with good reason, but now
I have to ask you:

Do you really think that rhetoric has nothing to do with these sorts
of crimes? Really?

I've got an uncle, Russ, who is schizophrenic. Classic presentation.
He's mellowed out some now that he's hit his 50s, which is a good
thing, but he's still mentally ill. Totally awesome guy, really smart.
Love him to death. But he's mentally ill.

Russ is really a sweet guy and good to be around but I was told, as a
kid, that while that is true, I needed to pay attention if he started
talking about "blackie". Blackie tells him to do things and they often
times aren't the nicest things. It isn't a good time for kids to be
hanging around. Does anyone specifically speak to Blackie and tell
Blackie to tell my uncle specific things? No, not that I'm aware of.
But does Blackie pick up on things in the media and help funnel them
to my uncle? Yes, without a doubt.

So did Sarah Palin (or anyone else) directly cause this guy to shoot
the lady? It seems highly unlikely. Does the rhetoric that she and
others spout out have an effect? Yes, it certainly does. Words are
important. We can't be responsible for all the effects our carelessly
chosen phrases have on all the worlds peoples, but when you are a
widely broadcast and quoted public figure, the words, phrases and
themes you return to can and do have an impact and to deny that is
both stupid and cowardly.

Judah