On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com>wrote:

>  But El Baradei is under house arrest and Mubarak still has the
> grudging support of a lot of leaders, the US amongst them. I wouldn't
> put it beyond him to find a way through this while keeping power.

I'm not sure how strong the US support is for Mubarak. Egypt has been an
ally of convenience in the region for awhile now, mostly because of their
slightly-more-rational approach to Israel than most other countries. But if
the US felt a true democracy could actually take hold in Egypt.....i think
we'd kick Mubarak to the curb in a heart beat.

But I know little to nothing about US relations with Egypt, other than what
i read in the papers.