We've dumped all credit cards. If we need something like one, we'll use a
debit card (which is almost as bad). Everything should be as much cash and
carry as possible. If you see the money in your hand and then not, it has a
huge psychological effect. But watch out when a check comes in and the urge
to splurge. Really.
Beware of debt consolidation services. It's just as easy and usually better
to come to an agreement with a credit card company or whoever to pay off
your debt at 60% of its value or less with no interest. Judith has been
handling these negotiations and we've cleared out a credit card or two
already.
The one thing I've been having problems with is the need to spend money to
make money. I know a new mouse with extra, mappable buttons would increase
my productivity but I've been reluctant to get one for ages. Same thing with
conferences. I should really go but it's not been in budget. As an extreme
example, I'm typing on a keyboard that's missing most of its letters. I can
do it because my fingers know where to go to type what I want and it
impresses the hell out of people who see it but maybe a new keyboard might
be a better idea. Know where to spend. I'm not sure I do. :)