On the other hand, Pakistan and India have been at loggerheads (and
active war in many cases) for decades with the ability to wipe each
other off the map through nuclear annihilation and they haven't done
it.

Am I comfortable with it? No. But current data suggests that the
actual use of nuclear weapons is far behind the bluster about the
possibility of using them. Obviously, that would be no comfort if
there is suddenly an exception to the trend.

Judah