"I would like to think Iran would not use a nuclear weapon against Israel
(or any other country)."

Maybe the biggest and only deterrent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Option

Excerpt:
The Samson Option is a term used to describe Israel’s alleged deterrence
strategy of massive retaliation with nuclear weapons as a “last resort”
against nations whose military attacks threaten its existence, and possibly
against other targets as well.  Israel refuses to admit it has nuclear
weapons or to describe how it would use them, an official policy of nuclear
ambiguity, also known as "nuclear opacity." This has made it difficult for
anyone outside the Israeli government to definitively describe its true
nuclear policy, while still allowing Israel to influence the perceptions,
strategies and actions of other governments.

As early as 1976, the CIA believed that Israel possessed 10 to 20 nuclear
weapons. By 2002 it was estimated that the number had increased to between
75 and 200 thermonuclear weapons, each in the multiple-megaton range.
Kenneth S. Brower has estimated as many as 400 nuclear weapons. These can be
launched from land, sea and air. This gives Israel a second strike option
even if much of the country is destroyed.

If the Samson Option does exist and a nuclear incident happens in Israel,
via traditional methods or terrorist attack, Israel will probably rain
nuclear fire down on every capital and holy site in the Middle East.

-
We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent
before and it does not work. I say after eight years of this Administration
we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt
to boot! - Henry Morgenth