I don't understand what is "stupid" about it from a UI experience.  The parts
of Windows I hate most are hangs and crashes, but those two things are usually
causes by non-MS software, although I know there are bugs in the kernel that
sometime slow things down.

Anyone here ever read Mark Russinovch's book "Windows Internals"?  Windows is a
incredibly complex system that allows input from millions of different places
and strives to keep them straight so you don't have a bad experience, but these
things do happen on occasion.

I work in the Windows source code every day, and I will tell you that it's
insane and huge, much more difficult to understand than anything I ever saw as
a web dev.  Eventually, everything translates into a c function which then
calls into the kernel.