Submission has nothing to do with whether or not it is coerced.
Submission is submission even when it is voluntarily. I think that
submission is a fine thing. And some people can compartmentalize their
submission. I know some very strong, powerful, people who are firm
leaders in their work lives who are willingly submissive in their
private lives. It can be wonderful to let go of the responsibility to
lead and to hand over the power and all the headaches that go with it
to another.

When Bachmann and others in the more conservative Christian vein talk
about a wife submitting to their husband, they mean willing
submission, no doubt. And all leaders should listen to the opinions
and desires of those who submit to them. None the less, the reason
that they call it "submission" is that at the end of the day, the role
of the submissive is to submit to the will of the one they are
submissive to. There very well may be mutually understood limits to
the submission, such as it being confined to family matters and around
the home but not extending out into the professional world.

A number of more fundamentalist sects take a rather wide-ranging view
on the purview of a wife submitting to a husband. I do not know
whether Bachmann feels that a wife should be submissive to her husband
in all areas of their life or whether she means it solely within the
realm of their marriage and home life. Given her rather fundamentalist
views on other matters, I'd certainly be leery. But then again, all
the other fundamentalist views are why I wouldn't vote for her anyway,
so the particulars of this one area are largely moot for me. But just
because she says that women should be submissive to their husbands
doesn't necessarily mean that it would require her to potentially
compromise her position as an elected leader.

Judah