On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Scott Stroz <boyz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I never understood why a woman would willingly want to be part of a
> group whose 'rule book' basically states they are not equal to men,
> and that they, as women, could never hold a position of authority in
> the group. And this goes for more than just Christianity.

I was raised to believe that to be a good Christian wife, and attract
a good Christian husband, one must be meek, submissive and obey her
husband in all things.
It's a form of brainwashing that is common to theological teachings in
the conservative Catholic and Protestation denominations, and
especially the more recent Evangelical movements.  Some southern sects
treat their women little better than the Taliban treats the Muslim
women under their rule.

Needless to say, it didn't take with me.  But I have relatives and
acquaintance from childhood who bought it hook, line and sinker.
Every single one of them is miserable, but they stay in these men,
many of whom are absolute abusers.  I've sat in the hospital with a
woman who was beaten nearly to death because she didn't obey her "good
Christian husband" and overcooked his steak.   I understand why she
went back to him.  It is the life she has known, and she believes she
is doing what the church taught her to do.  I am simply appalled that
churches teach their women dogma that is so damaging to their
well-being.

I am also convinced that the Pauline doctrine, from which these
teachings were taken, was written by a misogynist Roman agent for the
specific purpose of giving the Roman government a tool to control the
followers of Christ, and have nothing to do with the teaching of
Jesus.  But perhaps that is a conversation for another venue.