not exactly.

I believe it is legal so long as he sets his own hours and is responsible to
you only for results, ie not supervised by you in any way. Think of the guy
you hire to re-do your kitchen. You are hiring his expertise -- he shows you
pictures of what you will get and how much it will cost. You say go for it.
He disappears for two weeks..... ;P He is definitely not your employee,
right?

Seriously,that is one end of the continuum. Then there are taxi drivers --
know how a lot of them have signs saying the driver is an independent
operator who leases the taxi? The dispatcher announces work but cannot
compel them to go get a particular passenger if he wants his lunch right
then. Other companies they can.

The IRS tends to frown on the single-employer arrangement if certain red
flags pop up -- you are being paid by the hour, for example, are expected to
be "at work" at certain times, and the like. I think they consider it an
employer trying to wiggle out of their half of the social security tax.

I lived on both sides of the line for quite a few years. I have not checked
for changes in the law in a few years but I don't recall anything in the
news about Bush changing any of that. It's pretty common sense if you think
about it.