I haven't heard "anyone" in the protests ask for someone else to take
responsibility for them, so I stand by that word.

Also, you are making a pretty broad assumption that many or most don't know
what they are protesting.  I would ask how many of the protesters you have
heard speak directly as to motive, or if you are simply making these
assumptions based on media coverage or opposition rhetoric.